Skip to main content

Meditations on a Proverb

It probably doesn’t take one very long knowing me to pick up on an easily-agitated character. As my friend Alex would say, “it’s one of my quirks.” However one describes it, the truth is that it is a sinful response and Jesus Christ’s blood frees me from it. As I’ve been reminded recently, an attitude that is quick-tempered or overly frustrated is frowned upon and could end up costing me much more than I’m willing to lose if I can help it. God has also reminded me that I am incapable of redeeming my attitude without His merciful help. Perhaps I can control the external responses in my own strength, but real, lasting change only comes through the power of the Gospel of Jesus Christ. It’s this change that I’m after. And it’s for this reason that I write today.

Whoever is slow to anger has great understanding, but he who has a hasty temper exalts folly.

Proverbs 14:29

As I read this verse, a question comes to mind almost immediately. What is great understanding? How do I come to possess great understanding? As I thought through these questions, I discerned four things that I believe speak of great understanding. All four are found in Scripture. All four are truths that I know but have failed to fully utilize in my pursuit of holiness.

Great understanding is all about having the proper perspective on life, which is only possible through knowledge of and fellowship with Jesus Christ.

1. This is light and momentary. (2 Corinthians 4:17)

I am a sojourner here. My home is Heaven. Every trial I face now will seem miniscule when I am spending eternity with Jesus Christ free from sin.

2. This is God’s grace to me. (Romans 5:3-5; James 1:2-4)

Trials and suffering produce steadfast endurance and lead to godly character and eager anticipation of being made into the image of Christ and eventually being with Him in glory. God is so kind to use all things together for our good. I want to embrace the grace that He desires for me in times of frustration.

3. I am called to shine as a light of Jesus Christ (Philippians 2:15)

God has made me his ambassador to proclaim the Good News of Jesus. His desire is to be glorified in me when I am faced with pressing issues and am found to still shine with the glory of the Risen Christ.

4. Jesus suffered first.

No servant is greater than his Master. If Jesus suffered, so too shall I suffer. God wants me to embrace this suffering because Jesus Christ embraced me while I was still His enemy.

Consider what Paul wrote:

…that I may know Him and the power of His resurrection and may share His sufferings, becoming like Him in His death, that by any means necessary I may attain the resurrection from the dead.

Philippians 3:10-11

The resurrection from the dead and eternity with Jesus Christ should drive my attitude always just like it did for Paul.

Practically speaking, what does this look like for me?

I need to live in the light of eternity with Jesus Christ. Seeing every trial through this lens will allow me to respond rightly and honor God.

I need to trust that every relationship, trial, circumstance, and environment is designed by God to grow my affection for and obedience to Jesus Christ.

I need to grow my desire to show the world an attitude that speaks of peace with God so that they may ask me for a reason for the hope that is in me.

I need to always remember that when Jesus Christ suffered, He gave me an example that I might follow Him.

The bottom line…

Jesus Christ died for my sins. He longs to redeem my attitude that it might be the same as His, who did not revile in return but continued to entrust Himself to the One who judges justly. He has promised to do this, and He will do it. Why? Because He who promised is faithful.

For the glory of Jesus Christ.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Convicting And Compelling Gospel

Which adjective in the title more closely aligns with your predisposed way of thinking about and speaking the gospel to yourself and others?   Are you more likely to present a gospel that is heavy on the convicting realities of sin, righteousness and judgment?   Or do you find yourself more readily appealing to the benefits of following Jesus?   If you think about it, neither adjective fully encapsulates the message of Jesus.   It’s right to compel people using the promises of God and the joy filled benefits of a life submitted to Jesus.   But it’s also right to warn of the consequences of rejecting Him.   Since we’re all naturally inclined to emphasize one, we need to allow the other to constrain us, to balance us from taking our natural disposition to the extreme, which may confuse the gospel and the Jesus we wish to present.   Let me attempt to illustrate one example of an unconstrained leaning toward each in turn.   A compelling gospel that is...

The Off-The-Charts Good Providence Of God

What do Joseph, Jonah, Paul, Naomi, David, and Job have in common?   Besides all of these folks’ lives being recorded for us in Scripture, they also all suffered serious trials for God’s good purposes.   Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery.   Jonah got a sunburn (it was worse than it sounds!).   Paul was shipwrecked, bitten by a viper, stoned, beaten.   David was chased by a spear-chuckin’ king for years.   Job lost all of his wealth and all of his children.   Naomi lost her husband and two sons from famine. Amazing things resulted from many of these situations.   Joseph saved God’s people from famine when he rose from a slave to second in command in Egypt.   Paul planted who knows how many churches and saved countless people after evangelizing the entire known world in the first century.   Naomi’s lineage eventually brings us Jesus the Savior.   Job’s sufferings shamed satan by showcasing why a man would worship God despit...

Life Update: A Growing Confidence

    It’s been awhile since we updated everyone on things, and this seems like a particularly pivotal time to do so.   June 14th is my last day of service as associate pastor of Christ The King Church, Kenosha, WI, where I’ve been privileged to serve for the past three years on staff, and where, more importantly, Elyse and I have been built up into Jesus for the past 7 years.   Our relationships and experiences at Christ The King have been instrumental in both our personal sanctification and in our sense of call toward church planting, specifically a multiethnic church, and ministering to the poor and marginalized.   I’ve become a little bit better at preaching, a little bit better at leading, and I hope both spring from being a little bit better learner of Jesus, my King.   I’m fully aware of my deficiencies as His student, but nonetheless there is an unwavering commitment to keep at it since where else could I go to find the words of eternal life? ...