Skip to main content

Can I Rejoice?

This question has been on my heart today since shortly after I woke up. As I look back on this underway, I have faced some new challenges and some old ones as well. I knew at the outset of this deployment that I would be challenged by ship life because I always am. I also knew that it would be a time of great growth if I remained grounded in Christ. As I've seen countless times in my life, God is always faithful. I have continued to see that truth on this cruise.

There have been some low times in the past two months. I have worked hard for things that at times don't seem to have an end. I have sought to energize myself and others while feeling alone or distanced from others. I have tried honoring God in everything that I've done.

In the midst of these efforts, I have at times tried to do it myself. I've tried to strap all of these problems on my back and failed to remember to come to Jesus with my burdens. How badly I yearn to have rest for my soul! How silly I can become when I fail to see that Christ offers that rest now. God has shown me that on this cruise.

So...can I rejoice? Can I rejoice when I'm tired? Can I rejoice when nothing is going right? Can I rejoice when it seems that I have worked hard for the right reasons and honored God and not seen the results that I expected to see? Was I really in it to honor God if I am anxious about the end or the results? Am I really a humble person? Or does pride destroy that at every opportunity?

Can I rejoice when I see the depravity of my flesh? Can I rejoice when the new life I have in Christ meets the nasty, filthy flesh that still battles for control?

By the grace of God, I can. And by the grace of God, I will.

I have been reading the Great Divorce by C.S. Lewis. As always, God has perfect timing and methods of speaking to me when I need Him to the most. I want to close with a couple of comments Lewis makes that are very encouraging to me.

"They say of some temporal suffering, 'No future bliss can make up for it,' not knowing that Heaven, once attained, will work backwards and turn even that agony into a glory." pg. 69

"'Ah, the Saved...what happens to them is best described as the opposite of a mirage. What seemed, when they entered it, to be the vale of misery turns out, when they look back, to have been a well; and where present experience saw only salt deserts, memory truthfully records that the pools were full of water.'" pg. 70

What does suffering bring? It brings hope. It brings us into the reality that God is so good to see us through the very worst that this world can throw at us. It brings us great joy knowing that this isn't reality, and this isn't the end!

May we all be mindful of the truth that these light and momentary troubles are acheiving for us an eternal glory that far outweighs them all!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Convicting And Compelling Gospel

Which adjective in the title more closely aligns with your predisposed way of thinking about and speaking the gospel to yourself and others?   Are you more likely to present a gospel that is heavy on the convicting realities of sin, righteousness and judgment?   Or do you find yourself more readily appealing to the benefits of following Jesus?   If you think about it, neither adjective fully encapsulates the message of Jesus.   It’s right to compel people using the promises of God and the joy filled benefits of a life submitted to Jesus.   But it’s also right to warn of the consequences of rejecting Him.   Since we’re all naturally inclined to emphasize one, we need to allow the other to constrain us, to balance us from taking our natural disposition to the extreme, which may confuse the gospel and the Jesus we wish to present.   Let me attempt to illustrate one example of an unconstrained leaning toward each in turn.   A compelling gospel that is...

The Off-The-Charts Good Providence Of God

What do Joseph, Jonah, Paul, Naomi, David, and Job have in common?   Besides all of these folks’ lives being recorded for us in Scripture, they also all suffered serious trials for God’s good purposes.   Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery.   Jonah got a sunburn (it was worse than it sounds!).   Paul was shipwrecked, bitten by a viper, stoned, beaten.   David was chased by a spear-chuckin’ king for years.   Job lost all of his wealth and all of his children.   Naomi lost her husband and two sons from famine. Amazing things resulted from many of these situations.   Joseph saved God’s people from famine when he rose from a slave to second in command in Egypt.   Paul planted who knows how many churches and saved countless people after evangelizing the entire known world in the first century.   Naomi’s lineage eventually brings us Jesus the Savior.   Job’s sufferings shamed satan by showcasing why a man would worship God despit...

Life Update: A Growing Confidence

    It’s been awhile since we updated everyone on things, and this seems like a particularly pivotal time to do so.   June 14th is my last day of service as associate pastor of Christ The King Church, Kenosha, WI, where I’ve been privileged to serve for the past three years on staff, and where, more importantly, Elyse and I have been built up into Jesus for the past 7 years.   Our relationships and experiences at Christ The King have been instrumental in both our personal sanctification and in our sense of call toward church planting, specifically a multiethnic church, and ministering to the poor and marginalized.   I’ve become a little bit better at preaching, a little bit better at leading, and I hope both spring from being a little bit better learner of Jesus, my King.   I’m fully aware of my deficiencies as His student, but nonetheless there is an unwavering commitment to keep at it since where else could I go to find the words of eternal life? ...