Skip to main content

But the Fruit of the Spirit is Patience

Since arriving in Japan on the 21st, I've been studying the fruits of the Spirit and considering what each might look like in my life. I guess you could say that my New Year's resolution is to grow in godly character, so I figured that learning about the fruit that I am supposed to produce would be a good place to start! It has been a very good study and one that has brought its share of encouragement as well as conviction. This morning's study was particularly blessed, which is why I am writing. It is my hope that these meditations on patience might encourage and convict you as they have done for me. May we all strive to be those who by abiding in Christ bear much fruit.

I have been pondering two separate aspects of the fruit of the Spirit. First, I have been considering how Christ embodied the fruit. Second, I have been considering how Christ's example should be lived out in my life.

There are two passages that I considered that help explain the patience of God towards us.

But I received mercy for this reason, that in me, as the foremost, Jesus Christ might display His perfect patience as an example...
1 Timothy 1:16

The Lord is not slow to fulfill His promise as some count slowness, but is patient toward you, not wishing that any should perish, but that all should reach repentance.
2 Peter 3:9

Paul says that the very reason that God gives mercy is to display his perfect patience towards sinners, which really is a display of His glory and goodness. Consider for a moment Paul who persecuted the church and boasted in driving Christians from their homes and families. He was a wicked man. And God saved Him. Paul himself says that he was saved so that Christ's patience might be seen by everyone. I think my first inclination is to shake my head in disgust at Paul for being such a jerk. But then can't we run down the list of other "jerks" in Scripture just as easily? Peter's denial, Thomas' doubt, John and James' short temper, Nicodemus' secretive visit, the Pharisees' deceitfulness, Pilot's interrogation, the Cross's agony...and we haven't even begun to consider the history of Israel, God's chosen people. God is infinitely patient and that is a very, very good thing!

After considering all of these human displays of sin and God's display of patience, one must look to his/her own life and ask the question, "what can be said of my need for God's patience?" All of us are in desperate need of God's patience. I reckon that if God were not patient, mankind would have been snuffed out a long time ago. But praise God He is patient. And His patience serves to allow all people time to repent of their sins and be made alive in Christ.

Now, let's turn to our response to God's patience. Paul says it so well in Colossians 3:12-14:

Put on then, as God's chosen ones, holy and beloved, compassionate hearts, kindness, humility, meekness, and patience, bearing with one another...And above all these put on love which binds everything together in perfect harmony.

We are God's chosen ones. We have been set apart. We are loved by God. And because of this great grace, God expects us to respond accordingly. Notice that Paul's command here is to bear with one another. To ensure that we don't misunderstand what bearing with means, Paul gives five, yes five!, aromas of bearing with one another. Bearing with means having compassion. Bearing with means being kind. Bearing with means being humble. Bearing with means being meek. Bearing with means demonstrating patience. Is anyone else convicted by that?

I write this blog with a huge sense of humility because I know that I really struggle with bearing with others and being patient. I relate much more with the younger John who wanted to call down fire on those who were not following Jesus like John was than I do with the older John who could call his flock "little children." But John's letters give me hope that God can change me into a man of patience, compassion, meekness, and humility just as He did for John. From this passage, I see clearly my need to embody these traits of God's chosen ones. And along with that need is the trembling that knows I am unable to do it apart from Christ.

We each have our own struggles with patience. And I'm sure I could point a finger at areas where those around me struggle. I'm also sure that often I am tempted to blame others for my lack of patience! "It must be their fault since I'm so lovable and easy going," my heart boasts. However, in reality, I am impatient. Brutally impatient at times. Sinfully impatient to be sure. We must ask ourselves what our responsibility is in spite of others. And we must be diligent to pursue to honor God with that responsibility.

We are called to bear with, be patient, be meek, be humble, be compassionate, be kind. We are called to put on love above all things because it makes bearing with possible. Ultimate, we are called to fix our eyes on Jesus who demonstrates perfect patience and calls us to follow in His steps forsaking our desires to condemn others and putting on His desire to call all men to Himself and restore the relationship that we destroyed through our prideful, lustful, impatient, hardened hearts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Convicting And Compelling Gospel

Which adjective in the title more closely aligns with your predisposed way of thinking about and speaking the gospel to yourself and others?   Are you more likely to present a gospel that is heavy on the convicting realities of sin, righteousness and judgment?   Or do you find yourself more readily appealing to the benefits of following Jesus?   If you think about it, neither adjective fully encapsulates the message of Jesus.   It’s right to compel people using the promises of God and the joy filled benefits of a life submitted to Jesus.   But it’s also right to warn of the consequences of rejecting Him.   Since we’re all naturally inclined to emphasize one, we need to allow the other to constrain us, to balance us from taking our natural disposition to the extreme, which may confuse the gospel and the Jesus we wish to present.   Let me attempt to illustrate one example of an unconstrained leaning toward each in turn.   A compelling gospel that is...

The Off-The-Charts Good Providence Of God

What do Joseph, Jonah, Paul, Naomi, David, and Job have in common?   Besides all of these folks’ lives being recorded for us in Scripture, they also all suffered serious trials for God’s good purposes.   Joseph’s brothers sold him into slavery.   Jonah got a sunburn (it was worse than it sounds!).   Paul was shipwrecked, bitten by a viper, stoned, beaten.   David was chased by a spear-chuckin’ king for years.   Job lost all of his wealth and all of his children.   Naomi lost her husband and two sons from famine. Amazing things resulted from many of these situations.   Joseph saved God’s people from famine when he rose from a slave to second in command in Egypt.   Paul planted who knows how many churches and saved countless people after evangelizing the entire known world in the first century.   Naomi’s lineage eventually brings us Jesus the Savior.   Job’s sufferings shamed satan by showcasing why a man would worship God despit...

Life Update: A Growing Confidence

    It’s been awhile since we updated everyone on things, and this seems like a particularly pivotal time to do so.   June 14th is my last day of service as associate pastor of Christ The King Church, Kenosha, WI, where I’ve been privileged to serve for the past three years on staff, and where, more importantly, Elyse and I have been built up into Jesus for the past 7 years.   Our relationships and experiences at Christ The King have been instrumental in both our personal sanctification and in our sense of call toward church planting, specifically a multiethnic church, and ministering to the poor and marginalized.   I’ve become a little bit better at preaching, a little bit better at leading, and I hope both spring from being a little bit better learner of Jesus, my King.   I’m fully aware of my deficiencies as His student, but nonetheless there is an unwavering commitment to keep at it since where else could I go to find the words of eternal life? ...